If you are looking to get your natural food product distributed internationally, there are specific steps you need to take to get started. This article will outline the process you must go through to find international distributors for your product.
Understand The Different Types of Distributors
When starting in the natural food industry, one of the most important decisions you will make is how to distribute your product. There are a few different types of distributors, and choosing the right one for your product is essential.
The three main types of distributors are wholesalers, retailers, and direct-to-consumer (DTC) distributors. Wholesalers distribute products to retailers or other wholesale buyers. Retailers then sell the product to consumers. Direct-to-consumer (DTC) distributors sell directly to consumers through their websites or stores.
The main factors to consider when choosing a distributor are:
- Product range – Select a distributor with a comprehensive product range. This way, your product can find a home in the distributor’s inventory.
- Product knowledge – Ensure the distributor has extensive knowledge about the products they carry and how they can be used.
- Customer service – Look for a distributor that provides top-notch customer service. If there are any problems with your order, you want the distributor to be able to address them quickly and efficiently.
Identifying The Target Market
When identifying the target market for your natural food product, it is essential to understand who is interested in healthy and eco-friendly choices. Nearly half of American adults are interested in purchasing organic foods but don’t always have the time or resources to do so.
Therefore, you must identify the target market for your natural food product and appeal to their interests. You can do this by researching the demographics of your target market and targeting your marketing efforts accordingly. You can also focus on selling your product through speciality stores and online retailers catering to eco-conscious consumers.
Creating a Detailed Product Description
The process of how to get international distributors for your natural food product starts by creating a detailed product description. This will help you understand what the product is, what it does, and why people want it. Next, you need to create a marketing plan to identify how you will reach potential customers and establish a sales pitch to compel them to buy your product.
Researching the Competition
When you are looking to get international distributors for your natural food product, you will want to do your research.
One way to do this is to review your competition’s products. This will give you a better idea of what features to highlight in your product and what type of marketing approach would be most effective.
Another way to research the competition is to speak with potential distributors already selling their products internationally. Ask them about their experiences, what worked well for them, and what didn’t.
Take advantage of online resources like Google Trends and Google Public Data that can provide insights into how much interest or demand there is for types of foods overseas.
Marketing Your Product
Develop a clear and concise brand message. Ensure your label, website, and other marketing materials reflect the same message. This will help you stand out from the competition and attract potential buyers.
Create compelling packaging and signage. Make sure everything from the labels on the bottles to the graphics on the packaging is practical and appealing to consumers. This will help you sell your product in stores and online.
Preparing Your Product for Export
- International distributors will find you if you have a good product.
- Create a strong marketing plan to attract distributors and create excitement around your product.
- Prepare your product for export by following the proper safety and quality guidelines.
- Build relationships with reputable international distributors interested in natural products.
- Ensure that your product is packaged correctly and meets the requirements of the foreign market.
Export Documentation and Compliance
It’s essential to have a clear understanding of export documentation and compliance requirements before starting to export your natural food product. Here we outline the process you need to go through to ship your goods:
- Choose a reputable exporter.
Numerous reputable FMCG exporters can help you with exporting your food product. You must choose an experienced exporter handling this type of goods, as they will be responsible for ensuring all the required paperwork is completed and submitted on time.
- Obtain necessary permits and licences
All shipments of natural food products must comply with various regulations and require specific permits and licences from the relevant authorities. Before exporting your goods, you must check with the appropriate agencies to see if additional permissions or licences are required.
- Complete all necessary paperwork
Once you have obtained all the necessary permits and licences, it’s time to start completing all the required paperwork. This includes preparing shipping documents, obtaining insurance, and filing customs declarations. Ensure all documentation is complete and accurate, as mistakes can lead to delays or even rejection of your shipment.
Choose A Distributor That Is Right for Your Product
There are many different types of distributors, so choosing the right food distributor for your foodservice business is essential. Here are some tips on how to find the right distributor:
- First, consider your product’s niche. Some distributors sell specific products, like health foods, natural cosmetics, or eco-friendly home products.
- Second, research the distributor’s history and reputation. Make sure you work with a company with a good track record and is known for providing quality service to its customers.
- Finally, ask the distributor about their specific policies and procedures for handling your product. Understand their processes and verify that they will work with you to get your product into stores and onto consumers’ tables.
Getting international distributors for your natural food product can be a daunting task. However, with the right strategy and the help of an experienced distributor, you can achieve this goal. Make sure you understand what is expected from both sides during the distribution process and ensure there are no surprises later on down the road.